Monday, March 20, 2017

Cuba Libre!



I can't believe that months have passed since I've written a blog post. I actually have had a lot going on and many things to write about, however, not much time to do the actual writing. One thing that I did that was totally amazing was travel to Cuba. Yes, it was awesome! My good friends, Genevieve and Francisco, were going to Havana and they asked me to tag along - I thought this might be a once-in-a-lifetime chance, so of course I said yes. We made up an artful itinerary and went in January, 2017, staying for one blissful week. In addition to enjoying the warm weather, taking in the sights, meeting some wonderful Cuban people, and seeing lots of art; we managed to bump into some friends, play capoeira and have more than a few serendipitous experiences. I'll let the pictures tell the story... with captions.

The first neighborhood we stayed in Havana was Vedado, and our apartment was literally right off of the Malecón. Very beautiful and extremely sea-breezy at all times!

Statue of Jose Martí in Central Park, Old Havana.


Driving by the Malecón. The strong waves literally splash over onto the walkway and the highway too!

Monument for Cienfuegos in the Plaza de Revolución.

Monument for Che Guevara in the Plaza de Revolución.


Jose Marti monument, National Library in the Plaza de Revolución.



Of course, I had to have a Cuba Libre. This was the first of many.

Driving around town, Old Havana.

Walking around Old Havana.


Outside of Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes in Havana

In the lobby of Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes.

I took this pic inside of Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes in Havana, but then found out that picture-taking is not allowed in the main building (where the Cuban art is located). Needless to say, I was very sad! Some of the art I saw there really blew me away, it was a wonderful museum experience. I was particularly touched by work of artists JORGE ARCHE and SERVANDO CABRERA MORENO, and there were many other amazing artists works there. I bought the exhibition book so that I could remember what I saw and look up the artists later.

I took this pic outside of Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes. Yes, I was totally enamored by the classic cars and all of the bright colors in Old Havana.

This pic was taken inside of Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes' annex building (about two blocks away), where the international artists' work is located. Yes, you are allowed to photograph here!

Lo and behold, what did I find at Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes? An entire exhibition by Michelangelo Pistoletto! I attended an art residency at his Fondazione  Pistoletto, last year in Biella, Italy. Small world, indeed!

A famous piece by Pistoletto, Venus of Rags. (I also saw one of these in Biella.)

Staircase inside of Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, with a beautiful stained glass ceiling.


A beautiful stained glass window at Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes.

A building in Old Havana at sunset.

Cathedral Square, Old Havana

Cathedral Square, Old Havana


A view from the rooftop bar at Hotel Ambos Mundos on Calle Obispo in Old Havana.

Full moon over monument in the Plaza de Armas in Old Havana. The style of this building really intrigued me (since it looked quite different from most of the others) so I had to look it up. It's called El Templete (Little Temple) and was built in the Greek Neoclassical, Doric temple-style in 1827. 


The view from a park bench in a WiFi park in Vedado. Cuba does not have readily-available WiFi, so most people go to central locations (oftentimes parks) where you can pay to use WiFi.

Taking a ferry to the neighborhood of Regla, across the Havana Bay.

Outside of Museo de Regla.

Outside of Museo de Regla. No pics taken inside.

A pic of me, near the port in Regla.

Crossing the Havana Bay, Regla.


Having a much-needed refreshment at a lunch counter in Old Havana.

At the Hotel Nacional de Cuba, about to see Orquesta Compay Segundo perform.

Orquesta Compay Segundo. Awesome!

Cutting a rug at the Hotel Nacional.

Hotel Nacional de Cuba, from the outside.

Cuba had many serendipitous events in store for us - this was one of them. Bumping into our NYC capoeira family, Professor Caimãn, in Vedado.

We walked over to a street rumba (drum and dance party) at Callejón de Hamel and took a few flix. Ilê de Palmares in the house!  

...and of course, couldn't resist doing a little capoeira.

...it drew a crowd.

...and the local kids got in on the action.

...they really got a kick out of capoeira (I'm being punny).

Taking a long walk across a bay to the Miramar neighborhood.

This was our second location. We stayed in a penthouse apartment, in the sky-y-y. Here's a panoramic pic.

View from our terrace in Miramar.

A monument for Fidel and the anniversary of the Revolution, in Miramar.

Having a beer on our terrace in Miramar. Claro que si!

A pic from a uber-trendy rooftop bar in Miramar, called El Cocinero. Yes, there are hipsters in Cuba too. Whatevs.

Morning in Miramar.

Yes, the coffee in Cuba is everything it should be.

We took a trip to Fusterlandia. This is one of the many decorated facades, on the streets leading up to the actual home of Jose Rodriguez Fuster.  In other words, Fuster's art has overtaken practically the entire neighborhood of Playa Jaimanitas. Fuster is a prolific artist, who's been called "the Picasso of Cuba." His mosaic tile work has been compared also to Gaudi.

Taking a break at Fusterlandia. (I'm sneaky with the candid shots!)

Everywhere you turn inside of Fusterlandia - art!

Art selfie :)

Fusterlandia.

Fusterlandia.

Me, in love, at Fusterlandia.

Fusterlandia.


Walking past the public library's art gallery in Old Havana - an exhibit of Cuban silkscreened posters, "Cubanos."

Cubanos exhibit.

A side-street in Old Havana, where a pedicab was parked.

Street art in Old Havana - 2+2=5 character.

Sticker art in Old Havana.

Sunrise over Miramar.

Sunrise breakfast on our terrace in Miramar.

A day at the beach! Tarará, Cuba.

Tarará beach.

Tarará

I came across this beautiful bronze statue in Old Havana - it looked so powerful, I had to look it up. I found out that it is a monument for the Inca warrior Rumiñahui created by Ecuadorian artist, Oswaldo Guysamín.


(To see more pics, check out my Instagram @Whippedhoney)

1 comment:

  1. These all took me back! Great post, Lorie! 🇵🇷

    ReplyDelete

My Work in Debtfair at the Whitney Biennial

A few months ago, I responded to an open call from Occupy Museums for their Debtfair project. OM is a movement born out of Occupy Wall S...